FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starwood: "Marriott and Starwood stockholders approve merger"
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:05 pm
Anglo Large Clawed Otter
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SFBayGuy
I swear, reading this thread is like watching people discussing the purchase of funeral services for their unborn children.
Not from my perspective. It reads to me more like contingency planning aided by input from many different sources. I've been through several airline mergers recently, and don't want to be scrambling at the last minute to assess what my best alternatives are if X, Y, or Z happens.

Regardless of mergers, I regularly reassess what programs work best for me, and FlyerTalk has been a good place to aid that process. I've made adjustments over the years as programs like bmi Diamond Club disappeared, as programs like SkyMiles changed, as programs like Executive Club actually became more lucrative for my travel patterns (then less so, with devaluations this year), etc.

I'll continue to change as the programs do, and will keep checking FT for news or educated guesses as to what is or may be changing. It has worked pretty well so far.