FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage Changes for 2016 - DISCUSSION, REACTION & POLL
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:24 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GrandMoffJoseph
Well, I'd LOL if it was that stingy too. But, I'd propose a more attractive offer than that.
You're obviously not someone working in airline revenue management.

WN, VX and AS all make money right now without an overseas network. Running the USA domestic network as a loss leader for ultra-long haul is precisely backwards; most of the time it's the ultra-long hauls that are the loss leader.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
AA's moving more and more toward the DL model when it comes to the loyalty program for retail customers. And the results there aren't so pretty unless your regular paid flying is mostly represented by something like passengers flying in flexible business class from the East Coast to Europe. But even there the goal seems to be to fluff up the elite ranks so that churning of the FFP customers resulting from the gutting of program participation benefits isn't all that problematic for the airline.
DL's results would likely be better if they weren't pushing very hard at SEA.

Originally Posted by Phasers
You again. Ok I'll bite.

I have purchased a ticker on a carrier I have no status on. So let's review.
  • Did not earn miles to my preferred loyalty program - AA is nuking mileage earning anyways, so it's a wash now
  • I flew coach - With AA I'm batting around 40% for domestic upgrades this year, and 0% for international upgrades. Sure with AA I get MCE, but booking at the last minute I get MCE seats about 50% of the time anyways since 737s only have 3 rows of MCE.
  • No checked bag allowance - I only bring a carry on anyways for domestic trips, as I'm sure many business travelers do

Many of these issues could be solved with simply getting the cobranded credit card.
And to be honest, AA probably would rather you do that. They get good money selling those miles to Citibank.