FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AMEX platinum business card, 150K MR with 20K spend in 3MO
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:44 pm
philip0

Originally Posted by harish7447
Not sure if I'm posting this on the right thread. But I got an bonus offer for 150k points for Platinum buisness. Spend 20k. Is it worth it to go for with the $450 fee not waived? Please advise and let me know the advantages of getting this. Also I have no idea of how manufactured spending works? Any tips please
I took advantage of this offer and the points posted within 6 weeks of the statement where I'd made the spend. I just used them for $13,000 (via ITA) worth of long-haul business class tickets on Delta. And the fees/taxes for those tickets will be reimbursed to the tune of $200, making my net out of pocket for year 1 $250.

If you have difficulty spending $20K over 3 months then the promo may not be worth your trouble. Manufactured spend means you buy stuff you were otherwise going to (paying bills using Plastiq, purchasing cash equivalents like gift cards to then use for day to day purposes) but you go through some extra hassle or cost to get it on a credit card. I don't do MS per se although I buy as many gift cards as I have time for from Staples to get 5X on Ink. I find the GCs to be about as much headache as I want to live with; the hardcore, real-deal manufactured spending tricks require constant vigilance, a large cash float, and point of sale behaviors that will appear quite eccentric even to many seasoned FT users.