FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booked in F - Flight oversold - Advice
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:41 pm
goalie
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by freshairborne
This is a serious question: can someone define the term "kettle"? It sounds very derogatory to me. As a pilot at United, I see every passenger on my flights as just as important as every other passenger. I understand that there are different levels of frequent flyer status but I don't consider any one person as more important than any other person.

FAB
[Moderator hat on]

The term "kettle" refers to the old movie characters "Ma and Pa Kettle" who were good old simple country folks who have not experienced much in life outside of their small town let alone the big city (think country bumpkin) and that could/can be translated to/carried forward to first time/very infrequent fliers who don't understand the flying world the way many of us do. Examples would be those who bring everything (up to the kitchen sink) to a security checkpoint only to be told they can't bring the items thru, same type of folks who buy-up to first class and have never experienced it before and etc. And yes, it can be used in a derogatory manner

And now back to our regularly scheduled discussion

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator