View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 00, 3:52 pm
SST

Where to start??? I've spent 4 trips in Paris and parts of various others, and i've probably stayed ten places. The favorite we've had is the Hotel d'Angleterre in the Saint Germain-des-pres area. The medium sized rooms, about 1200FF, were wonderful.

the Hyatt Madeliene, a LOT more expensive, has small but wonderful rooms in a great location close to the Opera, Fauchon, etc.

Hilton's Paris location is right by the Eiffel Tower, and although the hotel is no great shakes, view rooms on the Eiffel side are pretty nice. It's a nice walk thru to the bulk of the 7th arrondisement et al., too, but it's slightly less convenient, we found, to the metro than other places.

Last trip, we stayed for a week on the Ile St-Louis, at the St-Louis. It's TINY rooms were unsuitable for anything but sleeping in, a la the Paris rooms of the early 1960's
(or earlier, I guess, if you were travelling before then), and we "slummed" it for 725FF a night for 5 nights. It was fine, in retrospect, because we were so close to all the clubs of the Marais that we never got back to sleep until the wee hours, and left to go out again first thing in the AM.
It made a totally cheap trip, with the US$ so highly valued, although when you figure you just paid $100 a night, many US sensibilities suddenly are offended. I guess many years of trips to Paris lead one to a different scale, and it is a relief to occasionally get home without credit card shock.

Eating: good god, you can't go wrong in Paris. Read up. One thought: we ALWAYS stop by Berthillon, the Parisian "glacier" located on the Ile St-Louis for sorbets. Do not, repeat again, do not miss it. EVERY guidebook has more info than we can provide you. Make your reservation by stopping by in the afternoon, or asking the concierge to do it for you, if your French is too poor for the telephone. This has the added advantage of allowing you to scope out the neighborhood, too, for after dinner merrymaking.

Paris: I never tire of it. Hope you'll feel the same way!