FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Motion Passed 8-0-1: Amendment to TB Guidelines
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:21 pm
dchristiva
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
As mentioned before, we had someone a few years ago who did something similar. A motion got passed then - as it has now been done again. We did it w/o the snarkiness exhibited in the public forum this year. Trying to publicly take on a TB member on a personal level (re: of frustration), especially when it's against the TB guidelines, did not reflect well on TB this year, especially when it was done under the guise of well the members need to know.

The members don't actually give too patooties about the inner workings of TB or if a forum gets created at day 6 or day 14. Would it be nice to have it done sooner? Sure. Will the FT world fall apart if it doesn't? Absolutely not.

Does public bickering & attacks ever really get someone to change their behavior or just make them dig in themselves?

BTW - I say that as someone who was extremely irritated/frustrated w/ the TB member who delayed things this year, but who also knows that a prior TB had a similar situation & dealt with it with a lot more class than this year.

On a final note I'll leave you w/ this because I am so sick & tired of the fact, both as a regular FTer & a TB candidate, that TB sniping has overtaken both TB & the election process, but I'm not posting on it again in this thread or the election thread re: the topic. You can argue amongst yourselves/have the last word/whatever. I'm quoting myself below from Q3 in the TB election questions:

"I'd like to remind everyone that the question was actually: "Do you see yourself as a person who is capable of standing above such (ie, snark, bickering)? In what way can you contribute to a friendlier and more tolerant FlyerTalk?" And not about a specific individual, especially since TB membership changes each year. Top down thinking.

I also think the horse has been beaten to death/the dog has gnawed through its bone entirely/fill in the appropriate metaphor re: this year's snarkiness & particular individuals - and that we move on, whether that be the individual or the ones who like to keep banging on & on about an individual. And focus on working together on future issues in a civil manner. Both TB & FT would benefit from it."

Cheers. Sharon
So I will ask again, if the "snark" or "bickering" doesn't go away with the next installment of TB, what would you (or any other candidate who wants to answer, for that matter) do to stem it?

Clearly I am different from the rest of you. I'm not going to sit quietly while others impede progress just because they can (in the case of waiting a full 14 days to vote when the outcome has already been decided). I know that issue has, presumably, been addressed, but something else is apt to arise that will limit or prohibit progress. That whole, "the good does not have to be the enemy of the perfect" thing. Sometimes "close" is good enough.