FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of AA 787-9
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:48 pm
itchief

Programs: AA, HH
Originally Posted by Longboater
The 789 would be a better aircraft for this route, if it had more seats up front. AA's configuration would essentially end any chance of upgrades and J will probably sell out weeks in advance for off peak days and potentially a couple of months on peak days. Even F on DFW-HKG has sold out several weeks in advance on non-peak days. LAX-HKG has the advantage of being almost a thousand miles less than DFW-HKG. Unlike the DFW flight that goes out without cargo and, particularly in the winter, has to either block off seats or bump passengers due to the wind, a flight out of LAX could actually carry some cargo and a pretty hefty load out of HKG.

I confess I'm not too familiar with cargo capabilities v. range for the 77W. I know the range for the 789 isn't all that great with a full load, especially with a dense configuration as AA will roll out. (UA does not carry cargo on their relatively premium 789 on LAX-MEL, which is just under 700 miles longer than LAX-HKG.) While the 789 absolutely has a huge advantage over the 77W with fuel, (UA has been rumoured to be considering returning to LAX-HKG with the 789.), the only aircraft that makes sense if AA pulls the trigger on LAX-HKG is the 77W.
Not to argue with you but have you seen the amount of cargo loaded onto the DFW-HKG flight? To make the statement that it goes 'out without cargo' is not true. I have been on the flight 4 times this year and the number of huge pallets with cargo loaded on this flight is amazing.