FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express retention offers [2008 - 2016]
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:37 pm
mherdeg

Programs: UA 1K
Just to follow up from activity upthread ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25566427-post468.html ):

Called AmEx in mid-October and asked about retention offers for my personal Platinum account. Was offered 20k MR points to stay, accepted. AmEx instead closed my account. Called back and asked for explanation, account was reopened next day and I received a one month account fee statement credit perhaps to say "sorry we accidentally closed your account" (but no MR points). Was told agents would follow up, but I was never called back.

Called last Saturday and asked whether I had any retention offers — was told no. Asked about the 20k retention offer that I had tried to accept; was told they had no documentation of it, but they would listen to the call records from my October call and follow up on Monday. No call on Monday; followed up on Tuesday with the direct extension of the person I talked to on Saturday, who confirmed that they had decided to honor the offer. The 20K MR points posted Tuesday night.

Confusing, but an OK outcome (effectively 20k MR points + $37.50 statement credit to keep a personal Plat card open).