FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:24 am
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LukeRB
Good to know, thanks.

Accidentally typed QF (Qantas) instead of QR (Qatar). How does Australia–Europe work with QR, and what can you do while still only paying 80,000 miles (e.g. SYD–AUH on EY then AUH–DOH–LHR on QR, SYD–BKK–DOH–LHR, SYD–NRT–BKK–DOH–LHR)? Has anyone successfully booked such an itinerary as one 80,000-mile award (or know someone who has)?
I dont know about your convoluted routing going thru NRT and BKK in backtracking fashion or SYD-BKK-DOH.

It must be QR to QR with QR being on the long haul in order to transit Middle East with a S Pacific - Europe award as a single award.
I have asked about Europe-DXB-DOH-SYD and that is not within the "Exception" allowed - must be QR to QR on long hauls. DXB-DOH does not count even it is on QR. Need to be Europe to DOH, DOH to Australia, all on QR to pay a single award.

You may want to post your routing questions on the AA partner award rules thread than on the EY success award thread. JonNYC should be able to give you excellent info on what you can do and what you can NOT do. My guess is none of your proposition would work.