FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lied to by hotel staff, and then no resolution by GM
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:53 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1353513636
IME the hotel has to ask you if they want to charge anything more than what I booked. For instance, if I had a rate of $110 for Monday night, if I showed up Monday at 6am, they could either just give me the room (actually happened once, though it was an ORD airport hotel a couple days before Christmas) or tell me exactly what additional amount I would need to pay to receive the room then instead of at the official check in time. If the hotel doesn't say when you check in that they're charging you extra, then they have no grounds to do so.
If you book for 10th-11th , where check in is around 2pm on 10th and checkout is around noon on 11th , turning up at 2am on the 10th, then would expect to be charged for the night of 9th-10th

This is what happened to the OP (ignoring dates) and was informed that would be charged

The only unknown is what the actual rate was for the extra night was quoted at that time. It would seem, from what the OP found in the morning, is that there was a misunderstanding and that the rate for the 1 night was the amount quoted rather than that being the total for 2 nights - the rate would (ime) be on the check in information and if the person agreed to it , then should expect to pay that amount

For the originally booked night, checking on the booking site, it would seem that , for a flexible rate, the latest cancellation time is 18:00 on day prior to arrival, rather than day of arrival. With that penalty, then the hotel would be right in charging for that night too. I suspect that the OP may have misread the cancellation deadline ( unless it has recently changed )