FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nobody loves your children as much as you do...advice on travelling with children
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:51 am
emma69
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Some pearls of wisdom in this article. Since flying with children is never discussed on FT, and is likely to be completely uncontentious, I thought I might post this here.

Some gems:

1. Families: board last
2. Bring entertainment
3. Be quiet! No, really. You, too, Mum.
4. Chair seatbacks are a danger zone
5. Stewardess is not a synonym for babysitter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/fa...-children.html
I will agree with all but the first - if you are a two adult travelling party, one should get on during the pre-boarding to get all the stuff sorted - carry ons up and out of the way, or under and out of the way, toys, books, snacks, bottles, etc. extracted and stashed in seat pockets, etc. and the second adult can board with the kids later on. However, for a single parent, I would still think getting on early, getting everyone settled, doing the last minute nip to the loo, etc etc. is better than later. I've watched parents whose carry on has to be separated from them and placed rows back play musical chairs for the entire flight getting things down, putting things up etc. and children escaping while they do this (in the particular instance I recall, it was a bulkhead, so no space for under seat storage, and her bag was about 10 rows back, she was travelling with 3 children under 5 (which, as an aside, I think is risky, what would she have done in an emergency situation [answer pre determined by me, I would get the kid beside me out in an emergency])

You also avoid the issue of people potentially seat poaching if you are on and in first.