FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does anyone actually pay for premium economy on TransPac flights
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:23 am
PaulST

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
Originally Posted by inpd
Hi,

Flew QF to Australia in July (going again on Dec, Jan and March). Was fortunate enough to be complementary upgraded to Premium economy from LAX-MEL. It was really quite nice better than economy with the more leg room and nice food.

So for my upcoming trips I looked into paying for PE and was shocked to see it was double the price of regular Y. Does anyone actually pay for PE? Don't get me wrong, its quite nice, but is it worth paying $3500 vs $1500 for 7 inches of leg room and nicer food? I don't think so. If I wanted extra leg room you can fly UA or AA (now flying LAX-SYD) and pay for their economy plus which gives you 5 inches of leg room more but same meal. But given it only cost $150 each direction (free if you have good status) with the left over money I can buy a lot of really nice meals.
Seems like an odd question to ask on a frequent flying forum, especially when a large portion of members would fly in premium cabins.

Is financially sensible? Not at all. Neither is travel, or buying a new car, phone, computer or probably flying at all. We pay for things because we enjoy them and often is an emotional decision (although often there's logical arguments such as the need to arrive in a good condition to work a full day).

I've flown QF PE on SYD-JNB-SYD and SYD-NRT and I found them far more pleasant in the bigger chairs. I also booked PE for MEL-LAX-JFK-LAX-SYD and HKG-SYD but was upgraded to J for both of those.

Was the extra thousands worth it? Well it's all relative. Would I do it again? Yes.