FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Short ~6Day Trip - JNB & CPT Possible?
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:44 am
benberg2013
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by Dianne_AfricaDirectUSA
Hi benberg2013!

I don't think you'd have a problem making that flight to VFA upon arrival. The issue is that flying out of VFA has certain logistics and for a short stay such as yours, you could be better off elsewhere.

From VFA, you typically have to go thru JNB to catch either a flight to Cape Town or to the Greater Kruger area and you probably won't make the last flight out of JNB to the reserves coming from VFA so you'd have to overnight which would be a shame to lost a night.

So here are my thoughts.. Victoria Falls is incredible and if you are into thrill seeking activities, there are tons of things to do. That is the main focus. Yes, there's interesting history and the biosphere is fascinating and I recommend highly a visit there if it suits the rest of your itinerary. But with a short trip, going there can have its logistical challenges for traveling most other places.

Having said that, if the Falls is a priority, then consider some time in Botswana, such as Chobe, for some water and land based game viewing. Save Cape Town and Kruger for another trip.

Alternatively, a nice trip would be Cape Town followed by Sabi Sands or Timbavati Game Reserve, both of which abut Kruger National Park. Both are private reserves that share an unfenced border with Kruger so the animals move freely. Private reserves offer the visitor the chance for your ranger to take you off-road driving to track or stay with an animal as well as night drives. Both maximize your time in the bush, especially for short stays. Rangers tend to be better (more knowledgeable and some are even recruited by lodges as well). There are many lodges in both of these reserves and there's a place that suits nearly all budgets and style of travel. These are all inclusive solutions: all your meals, drinks, game drives, bush walks, etc..

You can fly direct from CPT to a number of airports that serve these reserves. A road transfer from the airport puts you rather quickly into the area and, once at the lodge, you're in a jeep and off to see the animals. It's great. Highly recommend.

Hope this info helps! If you need further assistance, please continue to ask questions here or contact me via my profile.

It's the most amazing experience!

Best,
Dianne
Africa Direct USA
Thank you Dianne for this most helpful advice!

Do you think it would be possible to arrive into VFA or LVI at 1pm on tuesday, see vic falls, then the next day early moning do some safari/animal watching and then fly back from either VFA or LVI on the 2pm flight?