FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Requesting Assistance - Reservation canceled
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:56 am
GNVGator

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bmchris
In the past, I've been able to reinstate a ticket that was canceled accidentally by me. It was non-refundable. I would also try calling AA web support instead of AA reservations.
Yeah the agent said rebooking would be possible had there been inventory remaining in the fare bucket that I booked.

I already rebooked as fares out of DC for the holiday have gotten pricier by the day.

Originally Posted by Often1
While it may have been an error on your part, the fact remains that you booked a ticket in violation of AA's Contract (a so-called "impossible" booking) because you had not yet cancelled the first reservation.

AA has particularly strong "sniffer" software to guard against inventory spoilage and you are an unfortunately caught up in that.

There is nothing you can do to force AA's hand here and you have already rebooked.

Now that you have a positive booking, why not call AA back and ask if they might help you out. Agents can no longer call inventory/revenue management to open space, but a supervisor can send a message. It may take some time and it has a very slim chance of succeeding, but it is worth a try.
I will try that thanks. I thought about that yesterday but I wasn't sure what the web support guys actually do. Maybe they can help or maybe they've heard of this problem.

The problem here is that I canceled a hold ticket not the cash reservation. A mistake would be clicking on the wrong reservation to cancel. I understand what you're saying but my ticket was canceled because of a quirk in the aa web coding, assuming that is what happened, I really have no idea how it got canceled but this seems to be most logical explanation.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
If you're saying that you've now booked something I'd say this episode is 100%, completely over. NOT to say there was something you cold have done before, necessarily (there might or might not have been,) but if you're booked on something now-- if I'm reading that right-- I'd say this goes firmly in the lesson learned file and nothing more to do about it, in my view.
Correct, already rebooked. The inventory out of DC is rapidly dwindling and to make matters worse there is a big football game in GNV Saturday so seats are dwindling getting out of there too. So I felt the most prudent course was to rebook lest the only thing I'm left with is a $600 hole in my wallet and a valid complaint.

I'm not even sure what the lesson is to be learned. Check your reservations everyday and don't trust confirmation emails I suppose...But I'm not sure that cancelling one flight means you cancelled the other is something I should have known or been expected to know.

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
What?

I see not indication this has anything at all to do with AAs contract or so called sniffer software. At all.

*HE* accidentaly canceled it. And it might have been due to how AA.com loads content into multiple browser windows.

OP, you might have tried HUACA. But now its done. Agree with Jon, lesson learned.
I didn't accidently cancel it. I canceled the hold ticket on a separate tab. But I know what you're saying.

The real problem is the only thing the reservation agent sees is "cancelled on the website". It was impossible to get over that evidentiary hump and convincing a reservation agent that there's a flaw in AA's coding...I'm a US guy so I don't really know how the chain of command works with AA. Itired asking for a supervisor but she said she was the supervisor. In the past US agents would just call the rate desk and open up seats if they were convinced something had gone wrong but apparently AA doesn't have a rate desk according to the agent.

Thanks for the comments everyone, keep them coming if you guys can think of anything else. I'll call web support tonight. If anybody has a supervisor email address or anything that would be useful too.

Go Gators

Last edited by GNVGator; Nov 5, 2015 at 11:04 am