FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Refugees and the train stations in Vienna and Munich
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:43 am
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
It's my understanding that the border checks are being done primarily in the other direction. For those journeys, the DB site says to allow at least 15 minutes, but I would probably allow 30 to be safe.

I would suspect that the passport checks will continue unless substantial progress is made to stem the flow of refugees through Austria in the next few weeks.

Depending on the type of ticket you purchased, you could either be asked to be rebooked on the local service (Meridian to the border, Westbahn from there), or detour north to Plattling, and catch the ICE service which crosses at Passau, which would probably be my preferred route. It will add an hour onto your journey, but the chance of significant delays is substantially reduced.
Thanks for the information, makes me feel much better! I'm scheduled to arrive at 13:30, so even a 30 minute delay shouldn't affect my plans. I'll keep an eye out for cancellations, and I appreciate the alternate route advice.