FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If you can take only 1 piece of luggage (carry-on) abroad, what would it be?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:04 pm
Romelle

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I like Rick Steves' Appenzell day pack. I had a full-sized backpack, and originally bought this smaller one (maybe 2/3 the full-sized one) for my grandkids. I took it on one trip and promptly bought one for myself. The full-sized backpack hasn't been out of my house since - maybe 10 years.

I combine the Appenzell with the even smaller Civita shoulder bag. The Civita starts out empty, just tucked in the Appenzell. The Appenzell loosely packed. When wandering around for a day, the Civita goes into service, leaving the Appenzell back in the room.

Electronics is an iPad mini - email, web and camera. No phone. (But the Philips Sonicare toothbrush goes with me).

On the way home both day packs usually are stuffed, but still easy to manage and still OK with the airlines. The small capacity is actually a discipline for not buying a lot.

I only take a roller bag if I need to look slightly more respectable for some reason.

I don't think I've ever been asked to "gate check" the Civita, but it happens fairly often with the roller bag.

Last edited by Romelle; Nov 2, 2015 at 10:06 am