FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Multi-million dollar investment in onboard food and beverage options
Old Nov 1, 2015, 4:20 pm
titaniumfemme

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
I can only hope that the meal I was served for lunch in business first last week on the EWR-IAH flight isn't representative of United's efforts in this area.

I'll start with the fact that I'm a Type 2 diabetic. I control my blood glucose levels through a combination of diet (low-carb eating), exercise and some medication. "Diabetic" meals aren't available on United -- and in any event, historically, what airlines have served as "diabetic" meals have been far worse both in taste and carb levels than the regular meals.

Let me say I get that my disease is mine to deal with. I don't really expect a meal tailored to my disease when I'm on an airplane. (Although apparently if I were gluten intolerant -- a much smaller percentage of the population than those who are diabetic -- United would provide me with a special meal upon request.) In the past, while the food on United has never been outstanding, I've always been able to manage just fine with whatever was served in BF. Not this time.

By the time the flight attendant took my order, the salad option was gone. No problem -- that's happened before, and I was able to make do with whatever the second choice was. This time, however, the meal consisted of the following: chicken sandwich on cibatta roll (carbs); couscous (carbs); chips (carbs); another roll (why?? carbs); and of course, a cookie (carbs). On that entire tray, the only non-carb item was the small portion of chicken on the sandwich. There weren't even any pre-meal nuts served.

That was a ridiculous meal for anyone, not just a diabetic -- not only not balanced as to nutritional value, but not balanced as to taste or appearance, both of which presumably should be considered by a company that claims it wants its in flight food to be "exciting and interesting."

Just to complete the experience, the passenger next to me asked the flight attendant for a double portion of nuts, rather than a meal. I was surprised when instead of a couple of little bowls, he was brought a big bag of nuts. After I saw I could eat almost nothing on the tray, I explained my issue to the flight attendant (including the fact that I'm diabetic) and asked if I could have some nuts. I was told no -- that the other nuts had been brought from coach and that the other passenger could have them because "that's the only thing he asked for."

As for me.. lesson learned.