FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lectures from the waitstaff
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:31 am
Dadaluma83

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Speaking of being lectured by waitstaff, this happened to me a few days ago in Kansas City.

The other day I had the absolute worst customer service experience in a restaurant I have ever had in Kansas City. Check it out, so before the game I go to this Chinese food place. I walk into the door and stand around for a few minutes in front of the counter, because I was not sure if this was one of those restaurants where you seat yourself or wait to be seated so I was just going to wait on someone to tell me. Then someone comes to the counter and asks me what I will have. Haven't seen a menu yet, havent even been seated yet so I say this is the first time I have been here, can I see a menu? He says sure and hands me one, I decide on the orange chicken and order it. I see behind me in another room there are tables and chairs. So I get my food, pay for my order, leave a tip, and then walk to the tables in the next room to sit down and eat.

Just then that same server that rang up my order starts lecturing me about eating take out food in the dining area, saying that if I wanted to eat inside I needed to order in this other room with the tables and chairs, right then I was so fuming I was about to just blow a gasket. I decided not to because I had no place to eat this food and didn't want to get kicked out. Hey server guy, when I literally tell you this is the first time I have been here, you think a good question to ask would have been is this for here or to go?
Afterward he said its ok, just know for next time if you want to eat inside order in this other room. So i finished my food and left.

My only regret is after I was done eating I didn't go up to the cash register and find the manager and demand my tip to be taken off the credit card recept. Anyone work in the restaurant business? Is it possible to re-run a credit card transaction with a 0 tip after the bill has already been closed out?

My whole life I have never had a restaurant experience that pissed me off, until a few days ago. I always tip between 17-20% ish or so depending on how the rounding works out. I always tip that much regardless of service so if the bill is for example, 16 dollars, I will take 10% of that and double it, so 3.20, and then round down to leave a 3 dollar tip. I will leave 7 dollars on a 34 dollar bill, etc.

You have REALLY got to suck as a server if I want to leave 0.