FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - best HG grocery store to buy Japanese cooking ingredients at during layover?
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:51 pm
evergrn

If you're going to Central anyways, then just go to City Super at the IFC Mall there. Although there're other places in HK for Jpn groceries with better selection and prices, no sense in going out of the way to visit places like Jusco when you only have a day to spend in HK. City Super's selection of Jpn groceries is still very good and, although more expensive than Jusco or even Sogo, it's still cheaper than Seattle for instance.

I agree that it'll be less trouble to stock up on this stuff on the return. But I disagree with the Amazon suggestion... Jpn grocery selection via internet in the US is both limited and expensive. City Super stocks a lot of Jpn things you don't find in Jpn stores in the US, and so I definitely think HKG's a great place to stock up on Jpn groceries if you don't live in Jpn.

Originally Posted by susiesan
I plan to take the Airport Express to HK station, take the tram to the peak, eat dim sum at Tim Ho Wan and do some grocery shopping.
Definitely also ride the Star Ferry back and forth. If you're looking for a place to have one memorable dim sum meal in HKG, I don't know if Tim Ho Wan is it. I don't understand the hype. It'll be a hectic experience (eg, share table with strangers) with pretty average dim sum imo. There're so many places with better food, better service.

If it were me, I'd have dim sum somewhere else late morning, then dinner early evening (how about wonton noodle at Tsim Chai Kee, or shanghai meal at Crystal Jade, or afternoon tea set at one of the hotels in Central/TST?), and then get take-out bbq pork bun from Tim Ho Wan to go before boarding Airport Express.