FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gate Check with fee for excess carry-ons coming [UNCONFIRMED]
Old Oct 31, 2015, 12:52 pm
pgppetch

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Exclamation Gate Check with fee for excess carry-ons coming [UNCONFIRMED]

Heard this from a United EWR "concierge" type service worker who is normally assigned to VIPs and high government offices and who is very well informed: United plans to combat excess carry on, so prevalent since the advent of checked baggage fees, in a lucrative and possible punitory way. Gate check will now require payment of the appropriate checked bag fee for a given passenger. Bag tag printers are being installed at gates to speed the process. If you manage to get an oversize carry on or in excess of the 2 permitted, be ready to be required to gate check in order to board AND pay the checked bag fee applicable to your frequent flyer status, or lack there of, and class of service and/or ultimate destination and the bag allowance granted and possibly already used at the landside bag drop. I am not positive they will use the exact same rates as checking at the landside kiosks but I could not if they are going to all the trouble and expense of gate side bag tag printers, it seems unlikely they would offer a lower gate check fee.

I am sure the gate agents will receive much venting particularly from infrequent flyers and the scammers who knew how to get around the rules and board with excess but the agents will be required to enforce carry on policy and I suspect much more challenging to "put the carry on in the sizer unit". Thank goodness they have never gotten into severely restricting carry on weight as is done on other continents!

Be prepared to be compliant or be prepared to gate check and PAY!

Last edited by goalie; Oct 31, 2015 at 1:24 pm