FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Online camera stores ...
View Single Post
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:41 pm
PTravel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anrkitec
I haven't really paid enough attention to Al Jazeera America to assess whether or not they have an "anti-Jewish/anti-Israel bias" but the author of the article in question made no claims of her own which need or need not be "taken with a grain of salt". She simply reported what B&H employees were telling her. As I said, I doubt that she manufactured those accounts.
I'm sure she didn't. However, the question is whether they are representative in any way, and whether the accounts themselves are truthful.

The poster I responded to suggested that the reporter's accounting of what B&H employees were telling her were suspect and not to be trusted not because of any facts yet in evidence to the contrary but merely by virtue of the fact that she works for Al Jazeera America.
And, as I said, Al Jazeera America is anti-Jewish and anti-Israeli. I gave one very specific example in this thread.

If this reporter and Al Jazeera America manufactured these claims then that would in fact be a conspiracy.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the reporting of the claims was manufactured. However, as I noted, I don't know whether the claimants themselves were truthful, and I also don't know to what extent the reporter engaged in selective reporting. There is no question in my mind that Al Jazeera America does not report honestly about Jewish and Israeli subjects -- in this regard, it is the anti-semitic version of Fox News.

As the federal agencies listed do in fact have regulatory jurisdiction over the workplace it seems self-evident to me that B&H's "labor concerns" - or anyone's for that matter - are in fact not just "their own" but are in fact of concern for society at large.
Of course the agencies have regulatory jurisdiction. Are you aware of any facts that indicate that any of them are investigating B&H, or that B&H is not in compliance with applicable regulations?

I make no claim to know whether or not these latest accusations by these warehouse workers have any merit. They very well may not. But I do know that this is the third [or fourth?] significant labor-related issue B&H has had in the last few years and see no need to dismiss out of hand these latest claims simply because the first major news outlet to report on the matter wasn't the New York Times or WaPo.
All either of us in this thread has said was take the allegations with a grain of salt because they originate with a news source that (1) is not a major news outlet, at least in the US, and (2) has a demonstrated bias against Jews and Israel. Given that B&H is an overtly Jewish company and has enjoyed an international reputation for ethical and honest business practices, I'm not inclined to credit a fundamentally anti-semitic organization with accurate or factual reporting about B&H any more than I am inclined to credit Fox News with accurate or factual reporting about progressive issues.

Actually, as a 30-year customer of B&H [made my first purchase at the age of 14] I would hope that these claims either aren't true or are at the very least being greatly exaggerated. But given B&H's past troubles in this area I am willing to consider the possibility that the claims being made by the warehouse workers might have some merit.
My history as a B&H customer goes back as far. As far as I know, "B&H's past troubles" consist of a couple of law suits that either settled or were dismissed. In the US, anyone can sue anyone anytime for anything. I'm defending a client right now that has been sued for unlawful employment practices. I am convinced that the lawsuit is, entirely, without merit. The fact that lawsuits have been brought means nothing, unless they are successful.

As I said, because Al Jazeera America is a demonstrably biased source, I take this particular report with a grain of salt, meaning, without more, I don't credit it.