FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Gift Card / Cards discussion, issues, questions (master thread)
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:58 pm
BillGattes

How are American Airline Gift Cards billed/listed on a Credit Card bill?

To Those That Have Purchased AA Gift Cards:

I have a Credit Card (CC) that reimburses accumulated CC points for Airline Ticket purchases made with that CC.

I called a CSR and she stated that I just had to call in and that once they saw the charge from the airline, they would manually use my points and apply it towards the airline ticket purchase charge.

My question is: How does the charge appear on a credit card when one buys a virtual AA Gift Card directly from AA?

My main reason for doing this is to cash out the value of this unique bank card by just buying a gift card for an airline that I'm going to eventually use anyway and then close the card - I don't want to pay the annual fee that will be due in a few months as I don't use this card.

I just want to know if the charge will appear to come from American Airlines and "appear" to be a charge for an airline ticket...or will it clearly come across as a "gift card" purchase and thus I'd have a harder time getting it credited. Believe me...this bank is a stickler about EVERYTHING!

TIA