FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Churning Amex in Canada (2015)
View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2015, 2:32 pm
JJonahJ

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Smiley90
That's why I'm asking - "Find your current card" could very much be just a "recommendation", given that it allows you to refer anyway. I just want to know where it says in writing that it's not supposed to work for cross-product referrals.
At the end of the day, no matter how you want to interpret the English, if you choose, for eg., to use your Amex Airmiles CC to refer someone to the Amex Gold Rewards card, then good luck in hoping Amex will figure a way to compensate you with a satisfactory equivalent for the referral. As unclepants wrote on the previous page, it appears that Amex 'went yard' and gave him Aeroplan points for using his Aeroplan Plus to refer to an Membership Rewards card, but this is an easy scenario since you could quite easily convert 1:1 from MRs to Aeros. But there is no published equivalent/transfer ratio for Aeroplan to Airmiles, so I'd expect Amex to fumble here, in any attempt to help see this referral through.

If you do a cross-product referral, then be grateful if you DO get some referral points, as it CAN happen. The fact is, after reading these threads for the past few years I've seen more people post that it does NOT work, versus those that say it WILL work. So, give it a try, swing for the fences and you might get a home run too.