FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:30 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
[b]1. This North American airline was a popular clothier's failed attempt at a discount airline. It was pitched at the outset by a well known comedian but ultimately flew for only three months. Identify the airline and - if you're up to it - the comedian who pitched the airline.

I finally realized what airline this might be: Roots Air. I think this new Canadian start up operated a couple of A320s and may have also used a B727-200 provided via wet lease by Kelowna Flightcraft. In addition, an A330 may have been planned to join their very small fleet as well, but I believe it was not placed in service by the time all flights ops were suspended.

Roots Air it was! I have postcards of each of those three aircraft. The comedian that promoted Roots Air also promoted the Bass-A-Matic Fish Blender...

4. It’s the spring of 2003 and you’re taxiing out to the runway at Orlando International Airport when you look out your window and spy an MD80 wearing the old National Airlines “Sun King” logo on its tail. Which airline would have been operating this MD80?

Sounds like Southeast Airlines. I think they operated MD-81 and MD-82 aircraft and may have even flown an MD-88.

It was indeed Southeast. The airline operated MD-80s and DC-9-30s until it ceased operations in 2004.