FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QR/CX to and from Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:12 am
SuitedandBooted

Programs: BA Silver
Hi QR Forum,

So I posted this on the CX forum but following a lot of discussion I still have some questions that QR folks may be able to answer and put my mind at rest.

I booked an OSL to HKG via Doha Ex-Eu on Cathay's website when the sale was on and got a great deal. £1k per pax which also includes a PEK to HKG on the way back using CX744 (probably another mistake!) – will be booking the HKG to PEK using rewards.

Obviously as we all know CX have now cancelled this route as of Feb (my flights are at easter) and Qatar will be doing it instead. My itinerary has self-updated and I still have the 788 to Doha with the same transit times as before – There are new flights from QR but with CX flight numbers.

The whole thing is that I really was looking forward to trying the CX333 as it’s the top tier reverse herringbone product. Now however, I have the QR332. Looking on QR's site all flights from Doha to HKG will now be on 332s (according to QR’s site, with 165 degree recline as in, the crusty old J product, old IFE etc - all bad news!) -

I’m going to make sure I book my reward from HKG to PEK on a CX333 or 777!

My question's (probably fairly predictable)

I’m aware that QR started refurbishing 7 or so planes as of last year…what are the chances these planes will be used on this route?
How bad is the old 332 product and is the refurbished version noticeably better?
Finally, what are the chances of this whole thing changing again and being a different QR plane with the reverse herringbone a la 788/380?