FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - yosemite 2015
Thread: yosemite 2015
View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:52 am
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jdmlove
hijacking this thread.. planing to go to Yosemite from San Francisco in the beginning of March.. i have 2 questions:

1- am not into hiking, i just love to walk around and see the waterfalls and beautiful views, should i stay inside the Yosemite Valley or Village ?? am only staying for 2 days.

2- will i need tire chains for the snow to reach the Yosemite village from SF if i will go in the beginning of March?
Here is a useful link from the National Park Service:
Is it likely that I will need chains?

If you are visiting from November through March, you should expect chain requirements to be in effect (though it's possible you may not need to use chains), even if you only plan to visit Yosemite Valley and use the shuttle bus. Any time chain controls are in effect, all vehicles must have chains in possession, including four-wheel drive and rental vehicles.

Chains are often required on roads both inside and outside of Yosemite from November through March, less often in October and April, and rarely in September or May. Because higher elevation roads receive more snow, chains are required on the Wawona Road (Highway 41), Big Oak Flat Road (Highway 120 west), and Badger Pass Road more often than on the El Portal Road (Highway 140), roads within Yosemite Valley, and the Hetch Hetchy Road.

An alternative to using tire chains is to park your car on Highway 140 outside Yosemite, before you encounter any chain controls (the location of which varies based on conditions), at a YARTS bus stop and use YARTS to travel into and out of Yosemite (fee required).

Read more about what different chain requirements mean.

Call 209/372-0200 (press 1 then 1) for updated road information inside the park. This recording is updated whenever road conditions change and is the same way in which park staff gets road information. This recording includes information about current chain requirements. Remember that conditions can change rapidly.
Originally Posted by melkor
You'll need tire chains unless you have all wheel drive and winter/all-season tires.
That's actually incorrect.

Read the webpage that I linked above. Any time chain controls are in effect, all vehicles must have chains in possession, including four-wheel drive and rental vehicles. Vehicles are not exempt from chain requirements, even if they have all-season tires.