FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pockets picked in St Petersburg Russia
View Single Post
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:14 pm
rumbataz

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by JFSV
Sorry to hear this but luckily, it was "only" cash. It would have been more annoying had it been credit cards or passport.

Apologies for asking the obvious but did you do/wear anything that would have made them notice you are a foreigner?

Anyway, I guess it is just bad luck - hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!
Yes, absolutely we looked like foreigners/tourists! Whilst we were careful not to wear jewellery, I think our clothes didn't really fit in and we were a little confused about the Metro system. I can read Russian reasonably well in terms of letters (Cyrillic alphabet) but struggle with anything more than basic phrases.

Also, we had never been on the SPB Metro before, we looked confused so we were easy meat for the pick-pockets.

And, yes, it's that crazy jostling where you're pushed forwards and you don't really know what's going on which is the MO for the SPB criminal fraternity.

I'm just hoping that anyone who has read of my experiences this week can take measures to prevent the same thing happening to them.