FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathartic, slightly unhinged Argentina rant
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:51 pm
M60_to_LGA

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Cathartic, slightly unhinged Argentina rant

So I'm in BA for a business trip. My - actually rather nice - hotel has all of two guys who look like they're 19 working tonight, because (as one of them explained to me) they're totally understaffed because of bad management.

Half the ATMs here don't accept my US-issued Visa debit card (nothing new there), but the ones that do all seem to have some a 1,000-peso withdrawal limit, thus requiring me to make twice the withdrawals I'd like to. And requiring me to run around looking for the banks that I know will take my card.

And when I came back from a full day of meetings - 9am-6pm, five in total, ranging from Palermo to Puerto Madero and everywhere in between - I discover that the hotel has been taken over by some school group, and there are 12-13-year olds literally running all over the floor above me. And running/jumping all over in the room above mine. The same thing happened to me on my last trip at a totally different hotel.

I have been to this city perhaps half a dozen times and stayed at many different places. I have yet to find a hotel where I could consistently get a good night's sleep. Either there are children running all over, or the building next door decides to throw a house party on the roof deck until 5am, or Brazilian couples are having screaming matches in the room next to mine. These are generally 3-4 star hotels.

I'm so excited to go to Neuquén tomorrow. There's absolutely nothing to do there, but I can get some peace and quiet.

/rant