FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Hartford Hotel at Bradley Airport : Bed Bugs, and Deception.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:11 pm
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by rikramer

As can be expected, the hotel is denying any responsibility.
Why is that expected?

I got badly bitten at a (non-SPG) hotel earlier this year. The front desk clerk concurred that the bites looked like bedbugs, but their room inspection found none. Still, they moved me to a new room, laundered or dry cleaned all my clothes at their expense, and took the room out of service for a professional extermination.

And this is the minimum sort of reaction I would expect.

Whether bedbugs are the hotel's fault or not may be debatable. They could have been left there by the prior guest, and until a guest complains or the housekeeper notices blood on the mattress the hotel has no way of knowing.

But if you report being bitten, and the hotel denies the bugs exist, then when the next guest is bitten, it clearly IS their responsibility.

Either way, though, it's a nightmare. Besides the discomfort and itching, I also was terrified about bringing them home. I bought a can of bedbug spray and did a few generous applications on my suitcase and backpack, inside and out, and the rental car trunk. Shoes in the freezer. What I couldn't figure out how to address was electronics - I read that they could hide in a computer keyboard, but I couldn't spray or freeze my laptops.

Good luck.