FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If you can take only 1 piece of luggage (carry-on) abroad, what would it be?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:44 pm
Letitride3c

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Personal preference. I don't even consider carry on luggage that is wheeled. Even if I'm checking I'd much rather have a backpack or duffel unless I know my trip is a simple airport to rental car to hotel type of affair.
+1 here

I use my eBags TLS Weekend (22" full size) that's good for 3 seasons (shorter trips of 1 or 2 nights and warm weather - the backpack usually suffice) & make good use of the internal/external straps to keep it slim & trim, using packing cubes to keep the interior organized & contents not shifting around. Especially abroad, if it's a longer walk - make good use of those free luggage cart (not @ JFK ... prices up again, it's now $6 per rental) The key to getting around is a comfortable shoulder strap (one's own preference) or using the backpack straps - when it's "heavy" (30+ lbs for me w. electronics/gadgets)

Have an expandable Kirkland 22 (and 3/4") carry-on rollers, which I typically used as my checked bag (it can be heavy, as much as 35 to 40 lbs w/o the expanded zippers) and stacking the second bag/carry-on or cabin bag on top - lifting it overhead isn't fun even if we do early boarding & have access to bin space ... pack less & switching to a smaller backpack is an option, sometimes - especially in warmer months.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Oct 13, 2015 at 7:40 am