FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:29 pm
boris10475

Originally Posted by whoknew89
I was one of the fortunate that had his AA Plat MC converted to a MC elite. My annual fee is coming due in November so I took the opportunity to call and talk about retention offers. Basically I was told that if I didn't close the card today they'd offer me 3,000k aa miles after spending $500. I took the deal because it seemed like it was a quick 3k miles without preventing me from calling in for another retention come November.

I want to apply for another card but I don't want to pay the annual fee for the first card. I'm thinking about applying for a new AA Platinum card, then closing the first card and I'm wondering if the new card gets upgraded to a MC elite will it reset the 18 month waiting period even if I closed the first card?

TDLR could I get the bonus sooner than 18 months if:

#1 AA Platinum Card - Applied November 2014 - 50K bonus
18 months started
Converted to MC Elite in month 2.
18 months canceled
#2 AA Platinum Card - Apply October 2015 - 50K bonus
18 months started
Cancel card #1
18 months started
Assuming it would be converted to elite MC.
18 months canceled????

If you have any other suggestions let me know, I'm looking. Thank you!
Your course of the action seems valid. A couple of data points here show that closing of WE card does not prevent you for applying for a new W MC as far as 18 months rule is concerned.