FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Year's Eve in Florence
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:54 am
JMN57

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I sent some emails to some friends to see what they could dig up for a low key New Years. The thing is, most folks wanting that are likely to do it at home - maybe go out to dinner, then go home with family/friends and some snacks and drinks. What we're essentially looking for is a restaurant or wine bar that might be open late and serving drinks and snacks, but nothing bigger than that. I'm sure it's doable, but it's not really something that they'd advertise since it's by definition not a big new years event.

I love Hotel Lungarno. It deserves its place in the rankings. For a special occasion, I can't think of a better place to stay in Florence (I was there on my honeymoon).

However, for the second year in a row we're staying at Granduomo. I'd prefer to be in Oltrarno, but it's really hard to beat what's essentially a 1 BR apartment (with kitchen) with housekeeping services and breakfast delivered. In December, we booked a Superior Apt for ~$150 a night. And it's not as though the place is run down or anything, it's recently renovated and very modern (maybe a little too modern) in decor. Not saying one is better than the other, it's just a matter of whether you prefer a true hotel, with lobby, bar, restaurant, 24 hr service, etc, or an apartment with some basic hotel-type services.

Big tangent, but I see the Inn at Little Washington at #30 on that T+L list. FWIW, I found the restaurant to be very good, but a little bit overrated. Nice to have done it once, but dinner for two all in was in the neighborhood of $800. In my absolute unbiased opinion, as I made the direct comparison before moving to Maine (and was still living in the DC area) was even on our radar, I think a chef's menu at Hugo's in Portland, Maine, is a superior experience - and $800 would probably cover airfare for two in addition to the ~$400 dinner. And while I get that the ranking is based on the IALW and not specifically the restaurant, it's honestly the restaurant that draws people there in the first place.
Thanks for the update. Looks like a great deal at the Granduomo. As I've gotten older and experienced enough expensive dinners, my tastes have gravitated towards well executed but more casual/traditional dining. Having dropped >$500 for two many times, I have come to the conclusion I can eat just as well at under $300 for two and be quite happy.

Good luck on finding the right place for NYE.