FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Peru Itinerary Input
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:51 pm
rkkwan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
We hiked Huayna Picchu at the 10a slot and had 3:48p train last month. Here's our timeline:

At gate before 10a to line up
10:08a passed gate with signature
11:20a very very top
12:30p back at gate
~1:00p at entrance to use bathroom and buy coke
The line for the bus was fairly long, even if it did move. We cheated a bit with one person waiting in line, two going to use bathrooms and buy drinks
1:40p get on bus
2:05p back in town

Our 3:48p Vistadome started boarding at 3:18p (it does take a while to board, as passports are checked), and we arranged our hotel to deliver our bags at 3p. So, we still had 45 minutes for lunch and coffee at the train station.

We were not fast hiker, but we also didn't waste too much time here and there. If your train departs closer to 3p, you need to budget time carefully if your Huayna Picchu ticket is for 10a.

In fact, our Inca Trail guide did mention to us we should get back to main entrance by 1p for bus for our 3:48p train. Maybe he was a bit cautious, but we'd rather be safe than sorry.

---

I also want to mention Lima hotels. We arrived from HKG after about 30 hours at 7am, and flew out at 10a next morning. We wanted to sleep and visited historic center and not some new parts of town or the waterfront. So, despite knowing all its issues, we chose the Gran Hotel Bolivar at Plaza San Martin. I will just say that I did not regret the decision.

Last edited by rkkwan; Oct 7, 2015 at 7:57 pm