FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Death Valley: what should we see
View Single Post
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:02 pm
RichardInSF
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You either drive all of Titus Canyon or none of it, it's a one way road its entire length except for the last mile or two from the mouth of the canyon to the valley floor road. It is normally accessible to a 2WD car if the car is not too low to the ground but you need to drive quite slowly in the last stretch to avoid kicking up rocks that could damage something underneath the car. And the first part has some psychologically daunting places but is perfectly safe. Use low gear rather than overheating your brakes if possible.

If it is something you try, begin with a visit to the ghost town of Rhyolite just outside the park (and fill your tank with gas in Beatty where it is at least $1 a gallon cheaper than at Furnace Creek). Rhyolite plus Titus Canyon is a full day trip; bring water and a picnic lunch.

Given you have only two full days to explore, I'd sadly recommend skipping Titus Canyon, it's too much. On one day, drive north from Furnace Creek to the sand dunes, Scotty's Castle and Ubehebe Crater. On one day, drive south and west from Furnace Creek to include Zabriskie point, Golden canyon, Artist's Palette, Badwater, as well as the Borax works and mustard canyon just north of the visitor's center.

If you do have extra time on your way in or out, depending on the direction you are going, you could visit Dante's View or the kilns south of Wildrose.

For some unknown reason, I have always found gas to be noticeably cheaper at Stovepipe Wells than at Furnace Springs, although Stovepipe Wells only has regular. But it's way cheaper still outside the park (although on the California side, you have to go a long ways before reaching a station). If you enter by passing through Trona, there is usually at least one gas station open there so fill up as that is the last station you will see until Stovepipe Wells.

$65 per person is a ripoff for Badwater which is perfectly accessible from the main paved n/s road. For Titus Canyon the fee is more reasonable, but I'd rather rent an off-road vehicle and do it on my own.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 9, 2015 at 12:27 pm