FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LGK-PEN on Firefly for MYR50 or wait for AirAsia sale?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:14 pm
nanyang

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by bmchris
Far from it. A free ticket would be just Taxes and Statutory Fees. AirAsia was selling those for MYR9 earlier on. Naturally, add on a few fees, you could probably get it around MYR35 without baggage etc. 30% less than Firefly.

Here's the breakdown of my fare (each ticket - I bought a few for the family):

Base Fare: 8.68
Admin Fee: 30.00
Airport Tax: 9.00
GST: 2.32

The living standards in Malaysia are lower than Singapore, Hong Kong, Europe and North America I heard, so money definitely goes further.

Here's another way to look at it. The ATR72 has 72 seats. Selling each seat for MYR38.68, nets Firefly MYR2784.96. For a 15 minute flight, that may not be too bad.

For me personally, I'm more interested in getting the low fare from an experience of a LCC point of view, having never flown a LCC in Asia. The ferry is actually similarly priced at MYR60, and which goes right into Georgetown, so it's not a clear cut choice on what mode of transport to take when priced similarly.
Some costs might be cheaper in Malaysia than somewhere else, but the prices of fuel, aircraft and pilots - for example - are driven by global markets.