FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz PlatePass (States that Use E-ZPass) Thread
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:58 am
CrazyOne

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by lililolo
I have an upcoming 5 days rental with Hertz in Boston. I want to know what is my option if I do not want to use hertz's platepass and do not have my own transponder?

Is there a manned toll booth on Mass Pike? I found the charge is so ridiculous last time I rented with Hertz in Seattle. I used the toll bridge on my last day of rental, totally unaware of platepass and no where to pay on the bridge. Ended up paying close to $30 for that 1 toll.

Any tip will be appreciated, thanks.
Mass Pike is (at least mostly) a ticket system with human toll collectors: if paying cash you get a paper ticket when you enter that confirms your entry point, then you pay when you leave the Pike based on the toll between your entry and exit points. It's not a very expensive toll; should ring up only a few bucks max for most rides. I've taken many Hertz cars on it over the years and paid cash and never had a billing issue. Not to say it couldn't happen so it's not a bad idea to get receipts for your cash payments (the toll collector will press a button and hand you a receipt if you ask).

If there is a visible E-ZPass transponder mounted on the windshield of your rental, DO make sure that box is closed, or, better yet, rip the whole box off (they are typically on with plastic velcro-like fasteners, not a permanent adhesive) and stow the whole thing in the glove compartment or armrest. The Hertz cars are on Platepass generally whether they have the actual E-ZPass in the car or not (it will just read from the license plate) but if that transponder is in the car it is helpful to make sure that it does not read.