FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 20 Years of FlyerTalk: Happy Anniversary!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 5:09 am
TrojanHorse
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by dhammer53
I started flying for business in 1988. Sometime in 1990 or so, a friend of mine tipped me off to a magazine I might enjoy. It was www.insideflyer.com It was the pot of gold for me. Loaded with information on all the car/plane/hotel deals that were out there. Back then, I remember Randy inviting readers to call the office to see if they had any upgrade certs floating around. I never got lucky, but it was a great idea. ^

Likewise

I started flying for business sometime around 1993 and my 1st preferred carrier was DL and it was the good ole days when i was able to pick whatever carrier I wanted for business travel.

I too subscribed to inside flyer and that along with the old OAG magazine kept me informed with what was going on in the travel industry. Plus any articles in the Sunday LA Times.

Man, paper certs were sure a royal PITA, I'm not sure how I didn't lose them all but looking back, they were easier to find availability, maybe because everyone lost them

Question, so what happened between 1995 and 1998 before launch?

for the record I found FT when I was commuting (on DL) LAX-LAS weekly for work; I saw an article about it in the USA today; kept the article, went on it at the hotel one night, lurked for probably 3-4 months before I finally found a reason to post. I almost got a timeout the first week when I went at it with (a poster who is still around today) over a question a posted and his response was "search" LOL

I guess I made it through that first week to be here almost 14 years later