FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Did UA ship Mileage Plus customer service offshore?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:42 pm
LA2CDG

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by LPDAL
Sometimes, you can ascertain the location of the call center by just asking the agent where they are.

Before I became a Premier Silver I called up United regarding changing a flight as I kept getting an error message. While the reservation was being re - ticketed by the rate desk, the agent and I shared a friendly conversation and at one point I asked where they were, to which the agent responded Jakarta, Indonesia. It was pretty cool to be speaking with someone halfway across the globe from Florida. ^

After I became Premier Silver I had another ticketing issue and called up United once more, getting an agent at an actual ticketing office Detroit!! I remarked that it was a bit strange that they had a publicly usable ticketing office in a city with minimal UA service, to which she laughed.

So I guess it depends on the time that you call up and maybe your status. I've heard that status doesn't actually send you to another agency, however, it just puts you higher up in the hold queue.

-LPDAL
Thanks LPDAL, The First time I called, I knew it was offshore as soon as the agent picked up. She just kept repeating what I said and telling me irrelevant info. I broke my own rule, I should have made an excuse and kindly hang up.
When I called back today, it went to the same call center. Now I know there is something up. MileagePlus Customer service calls never went offshore previously.