FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on Christmas Itinerary
View Single Post
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:05 pm
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Advice on Christmas Itinerary

I'll admit right away that I need to do some additional research. But I would appreciate some thoughts on this itinerary.

Background: My mother has never been to continental Europe. Before my father's unexpected passing, he told me one of his wishes was to take her there (he had been many times for work). She is in her late 60's, but has some trouble walking for too long due to a bad knee.

As a Christmas present, I've offered to take her to some of the Christmas markets. My concern, and hers, is how her knee will hold up. I haven't been to the markets myself and have just started my research. Beyond that, she loves everything old and European, so we'll do more than just the markets.

I'm an experienced traveler, and know Europe fairly well. For this trip, I'm pretty familiar with Vienna, not quite as much with the other locations I'm considering.

Here's what I'm thinking. Feedback please, I can change anything at this point.

Dec. 19 or 20 - Arrive in Munich from the US. Need to research the Christmas markets here. Also thinking a trip to Dachau, as this would be of interest to both of us. Otherwise sightsee near the city center.

I don't plan to rent a car at any point as the train between these cities seems like a much better lower priced alternative.

Dec. 23 - Train from Munich to Vienna. Visit the Rathausplatz market. Then Schonbrunn on Christmas Day, as it appears to be open. I realize much will be closed early on the 24th. Sightsee in the city center (St. Stephens, Opera House, etc.). Probably would leave for the US around the 27th.

I'm thinking this general itinerary limits her walking, as the public transportation should be good, even if we take the U-bahn for a distance we would normally walk.

Some questions:
- Enough time in each place, too much time? Hard for me to judge as I haven't been in Europe during the holiday season.
- Since the length of the trip is still flexible, is it worth stopping in Salzburg? Would it be too much walking?
- I have not been to the Melk Abbey but thinking it might be something she'd like. It looks like we could fit that into a day trip...worth considering?
- Any suggestions on Munich Christmas markets?
- I'm not finding a lot so far in my research for Christmas Eve in Vienna. More work to do, but any thoughts are appreciated.
- Any other suggestions on what I should include in the trip?

Thank you for your help!