FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Rewards Club Elite experiences (Archive Thread 2015)
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:21 am
Chinatrvl

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
CP Kowloon East Tseung Kwan O

CP Hong Kong Kowloon East

What is your IHG Rewards Club status?
Spire Elite

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Hmm.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked superior, got deluxe (high floor)

How are the rooms?
As previously mentioned, largish, well appointed rooms with views over the hills and sea.

What was good and what was bad?
I've been fairly frequent to this property since its opening. The hotel has been one of my favorite hotels in Hong Kong and with IHG so far; so please allow me to be a bit critical.

Good:
- Location, for my liking
- Drink voucher and free breakfast for one person
- Pre-arrival welcome email - very much appreciated

Bad:
- New toiletries
- No more bathrobes
- No recognition of Spire (same as Platinum)
- No more welcome fruit plate and bottle of wine
- Staff was seriously overworked (I insinuate... as staff had been wonderful during my last stays, and it was very busy this time). Not very welcoming at the front desk, at Cielo, at the concierge.
- Breakfast was a mess at some days. Took some attempts to get coffee, on some days there weren't any eggs for congee or they ran out of bread etc.
- Staff lied. Requested early check-in by email. When I arrived, front desk staff said no rooms available, hotel was fully booked. After a short speak to the backoffice (that I didn't request), magically a room was available. Later, I asked for late check-out and I even offered to pay for it. Answer: "Sorry, only one room available, 4 hours cost 750 HKD++. Book now." I checked online, all room categories expensive, but wide, wide open! That's impertinent. I don't argue for what I'm not entitled to, but I hate to be lied to and pressured to buy.
- Second service, which so far had been reliably carried out every day, was only done once in a 6 day stay.
- I was asked to give feedback (letter with phone number). I called (for second service and a bath robe) and got the promise that somebody will call me back. Never happend.
- Internet very slow. I relied on my CSL 4G phone to get decent download rates in the evening.

Value for € or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Probably not. There are better options for now.
I have stayed a couple of times at the Hotel EAST in Tai Gu. The hotel has similar rates in a very good location for my liking (the attached mall is quite good, and I kind of like to walk along the sea to Shau Kei Wan in the evening for dinner), a stunning view from the rooms and the roof-top bar. Rooms are on the small side.
In Kowloon, The Langham is a newly renovated property with top-notch service of a different league and good member recognition. It's on Beijing Road in the middle of the Kowloon hustle and bustle (that I can very much live without).
It's really a shame, but I don't see much reason to return to TKO with slipping standards and good alternatives.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Sep 29, 2015 at 9:06 am