FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2015
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:20 am
KARFA
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by geezersrule
i have read the earning guide on BA website and looked at this thread but still am unsure of earnings.
i am booked on AA flight in "C" class (upgraded business class using systemwide upgrade from cheap economy fare). i see on the earning chart for BA that "C" class earns 100% miles flown. am i understanding this correctly that flying upgraded business class will earn me 100% miles flown rather than the 25% miles flown for the economy fare that i purchased if i use my BA frequent flyer number to credit miles to my account?
You will actually earn whatever avios and TPs are due from the cheap economy fare. Upgrades on AA using the SWU earn according to the originally booked class not the class you upgrade in to. This is exactly the same whether you credit to BA or AA.

www.americanairlines.com/i18n/AAdvantage/eliteStatus/upgrades/upgrades.jsp

AAdvantage mileage will accrue for the class of service on which your fare is based when you are ticketed, not for the class of service flown. Any voluntary refund of a ticket issued against the upgrade shall be in accordance with applicable fare rules for the fare purchased.