FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Impressed with St. Louis
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2015, 7:56 pm
backprop

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I don't share your same optimism. I would be weary of the downtown area after dark, especially the farther north you go. The Lumiere/Ed Jones Dome/Columbus Square area would be completely a no go for me. Despite supposedly being one of the "nicer" areas of STL with a Four Seasons, people are still getting carjacked in that parking garage and murdered right outside the front door. Even Wash Ave which is supposed to be the oontzy loft district is bordered by some sketch neighborhoods and it's not unheard of for people to be murdered around there. Bar fights at "the clubs" that spill out on the streets, that kid from the 'burbs that was murdered in his car not too long ago in a failed carjacking, etc.

I'd stick to the CWE, Clayton, Delmar, Forest Park(during the day) and the Soulard areas. I'd also recommend the Hill if you like Italian food. Plenty to see and do in those areas and reasonably safe. No one goes downtown unless they're going to a sporting event.
A couple things.

I would say that "big city smarts" would include not going to Columbus Square at night. Or the day, for that matter. There's nothing there of interest to a visitor, so I assume one wouldn't go there, the same way I'd avoid Skid Row if I visited L.A.

It's interesting that you mention "clubs" as I believe there aren't any more, except maybe one (Europe?) left. Sugar Lounge, Amnesia, Club 15, Lure. Closed, closed, closed, closed. The "clubbing" days of Washington Ave. are long gone, replaced by sports bars, a dueling piano lounge, a cigar bar, an upscale bowling alley, and restaurants.

Staying on and south of Washington - with the exception of City Museum - is probably a good rule of thumb.

I'm not saying everything is roses in St. Louis or any major city, but I've lived, worked, and walked downtown St. Louis for almost 20 years now and I know that the 'nobody comes here except for sports' is a bit far-fetched.

But I also think your other suggestions as far as where to visit at night are good too, for what it's worth.