FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two itineraries - one reservation?
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:28 am
jridge

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Curt941
My wife is going to fly to Charlotte (from Dallas) to meet me at the end of my business trip.

I'll be flying out on a Monday morning, returning 2 Fridays later.

She's going to fly out the Thursday after me, then stay a week and fly back with me.

I've got executive platinum status, and get upgraded on my flights every time between CLT and DFW.

Obviously I want her to get this perk too, but I wanted to see if there is a trick to getting us on the same reservation when our flights from DFW->CLT are different, but return flights from CLT->DFW are the same?

We get 24 hour cancellations when we book flights through our companies travel service, so I'm wondering if I can book us both on the same flights, then call and change mine to the one I need. Think that would keep us on the same reservation/record locator?
You cannot have different itineraries in the one record locator. If you start out that way then change yours, that achieves nothing - it would result in the record being split and each of you having separate locators.

The only way to be in the same locator is to have the same itinerary. For example, to book it as two one-way tickets rather than a return, with both of you in the same record on the way back. Are two one-ways more expensive than a return? Probably.

If the upgrade is the only motivation for maintaining the same record, call and ask for her to be put on the upgrade list as a companion.