FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What information do airlines really store in a FF profile?
Old Mar 4, 2001, 7:29 pm
Shareholder
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I agree with westcoaster. I believe you were just the beneficiary of a serendipitous coincidence of the carrier being a corporate sponsor for this symphony orchestra, and you being a commercially valuable customer to whom they were sending a little extra. In the days when it was still flying, I received several sets of football tickets from Canadian Airlines, and my wife and I were actually flown to another city, put up in a hotel, dined and taken to a play with a dozen other couples. All were "thank yous" for the regular business I gave them.

As for you original question, most FF programs are used by airlines in their data combing. That is they can prepare profiles based on where and how frequently your travel. This becomes important for target marketing and bonus promotions.

Specific PNR entries tend to be limited — for privacy reasons — to one's FF program account number, elite status, contact information, and maybe a profile for preferred seating, meal choice, etc. On a tour of Air Canada's Aeroplan HQ last summer, several of us FlyerTalkers were allowed to look at our FF program master file. In addition to the above mentioned basic information, current mileage and activity was included, along with our lifetime totals for Q-miles, base miles, airline and non-airline partner miles, and all miles since joining.