FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dumped in Indy [JAX-ORD, AA diverted and left me at IND]
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:35 pm
lookingforins

Programs: UA GS, AA EP, Marriott Plt
Unhappy Dumped in Indy (Update)

While I'm certain there are posts that are exaggerated or untruthful, it makes little sense to lie when you are looking for help and solutions. The GA that entered plane expressed those exact sentiments as previously stated. There was pandemonium at Indy as ours was not the only flight diverted, many planes where at the relatively small Indy airport. Local agents were swamped, the phone was hopelessly jammed. You are right tomorrow probably was a possibility for a flight, but based on current capacity, not a certainty. While reimbursement for the rental car would have been nice, I was trying to get the ticket refunded, even with a travel voucher. I know weather is an issue, air traffic control was not controllable by AA. My biggest complaint was the after market service of form letters not related to the complaint, no offer of anything to make it right and no one to talk to.

Update

I have received a call from AA. The women was apologetic to the service, sympathetic to trouble I had, but reiterated it is AA's policy to not compensate ticket holders under those circumstances. She hinted but did not say, that they are being overwhelmed with complaints and the inability to speak one to one and the increased use of form letters is their only way to deal with this. They offered 5K as a good will gesture and said my complaint would be shared with higher levels of management. While this is not very satisfying, I got to talk to somebody and there is at least a chance that someone who can make a difference at AA will hear me. So it's time to move on.

I use to fly mostly United, they had a dedicated line of which was usually helpful. 10K miles was usually the amount in these type of cases or $100-200 in travel vouchers. My biggest concern is the future with American. United service suffered greatly when integrating Continental. We are already seeing the strains as American incorporates USAir. The consolidated UA/CO reservation system suffered for an extended time. I doubt it will get better in the short to medium term at AA. It might be time to go back to United.

Although I am somewhat miffed at the statement, IF what you posted is true, I do appreciate the contacts. In the end that's I was looking for and the most valuable part of FlyerTalk is the information sharing from other frequent flyers.

Thank you