FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:26 am
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Maybe I missed it, but maybe the information that there is no airside transfer in China could be added into the wiki? To make it clear that all people arriving at a Chinese airport must enter China, no matter how soon their next flight takes off or where it is going? There are other countries in the world where international to international transfers do not require going through that country's customs and immigration, so this is not necessarily obvious.
Originally Posted by dpham4
Not to belabor the point, but I high doubt that I am the first, nor will I be the last, person to wonder if a "third country" could be taken to mean the originating country. There are ample assertions that the 72 hour transit does apply in this case--incorrect as it may be, this shows the misinterpretation is quite prevalent, and I believe my desire to clarify reasonable. That I missed the half line which explicitly answered my question, fine, I made a mistake and missed it.

And yes YuropFlyer, being new to international travel in general, I wanted to also find out if staying airside was possible to avoid needing a visa, in case the 72 hour transit rule didn't apply in my case.

In general, the fact that all passengers required passport checks, even for connections, was lost on me (and I'm sure others).

Anyway, thank you those who were patient and helpful.
This thread deals with TWOV as it pertains to China, and needs to be considered within the broader immigration/entry/visa framework that applies worldwide, over and above country specifics.

Terms such as 'transit', 'transit without visa' and 'third country' are defined within the broader worldwide context, and apply equally to China as they do other countries.

While PEK may have an 'airside' transit facility, it is somewhat irrelevant to TWOV. Even if you didn't have a passport check, you still wouldn't be permitted to board at your country of origin if you intended to return to the same place... ie if you weren't going beyond China to a third country.