FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If you can take only 1 piece of luggage (carry-on) abroad, what would it be?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:36 am
navi_jen

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by airsupply
Just returned from a 10 day Myanmar trip . I used this bag http://gregorypacks.com/en/GM74552.html. I loved it! It was recommended to me by my local EMS store. The pack is extremely comfortable and has a ventilated back suspension. I used it on buses, trains, planes, trekking. It also fit in LCC overhead compartments easily.

THIS! Between cobblestone streets, hotels without elevators, odd shaped luggage bins at train stations, you need something softsided and portable. Dragging wheeled luggage for 1 or 2 miles or not being able to store your luggage (not all stations have big lockers) is going to limit your ability to move around in comfort. I've had a Gregory pack for 20 years and it still fits me like a glove and is comfortable for long hikes and has traveled all over the US, Europe, Africa and Asia. I find Osprey packs to to work well too. Get a weekend sized pack, and since you're not toting backpacking gear (tent, stove, sleeping) it will be plenty big enough and you can usually take them on planes without too much hassle.

But, with backpacks, proper fit is key. If you can, get your your local REI or camping supply house.

Good luck!