FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will the Pope's Travel Affect East Coast Air Traffic?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:56 pm
COSPILOT

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
When tracking a shipment on FedEx at the top they have a notice saying: "FedEx anticipates delays and disruptions in the Washington, D.C., New York, and Philadelphia metro areas because of the papal visit."

Wasn't really on my radar so I looked up which days he is in NY and he is due to arrive on the 24th which is when I am flying in/out to SDQ from EWR. For all the extravagance there is no Angel One private plane and apparently they hire an Alitalia charter so I'm assuming he goes to JFK.

Was curious if there are also the Air Force One airport type shutdowns for normal fliers or if it was just all the motorcade routes and things that are mucking up FedEx.
I can't speak to the impacts of the Pope's visit, but Air Force One certainly causes things to grind to a halt, both on the ground and in the air. 3 times now I have been stung by the departure of Air Force One, twice on the ground, and one time in the air. For ground ops, you can be in the middle of taxiing to the runway when you get the call to not only stop, but shut off the engine. Had that 2 times now. In the air, and minutes from landing, got the same call. Spent 40 minutes in a holding pattern, was number 2 for landing, but I offered my landing slot to the King Air that was number 3, as he was getting low on fuel and was very close to diverting to his alternate. Helps that we knew each other, plus he bought me a beer that evening for my help.