FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Free Windows 10 upgrade
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:14 pm
DenverBrian
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by cubbie
Any opinions on how long a factory reset of Windows 10 on a 1-Tb drive should take? It's been 3 hours so far.

- - - -

Updated to add: it took about 4.5 hrs to get past the 99% screen and move on to other Windows 10 reinstall steps. Mods, feel free to delete this post and my previous post if you see fit, but I thought the 4.5 hours might be useful info for others.

- - - -

Mr Mister came home the other day with a new laptop with Windows 10 that he bought for me from Costco. Overall, it's great, except that it was used as a floor model and thus configured by someone at Costco. After trying to change the name of the User directory from that person's name to mine, I wound up with a perpetually spinning Welcome screen and unable to boot into safe mode to undo what I'd done.

Costco concierge technical support to the rescue! They were great. They suggested doing a factory reset to wipe out all of Costco Employee's user settings and starting from scratch, which is fine with me because I'd hardly installed anything on it so far. What I did was a full reset with no saving of files, including wiping the whole drive or whatever that option was called.

Ms. Technical Concierge warned me that the resetting process could stick at 99% for quite a long time and that I should just not touch it and let it take as long as it takes, which is okay too; I'm off to bed in a while and don't care if it takes all night.

Just curious, though, does 3 hrs so far seem odd? Is it a function of the hard drive size (1 Tb)? The computer is an Inspiron 15 with an intel core 15 processor and 12 Gb of RAM.

If it's still at 99% when I wake up in the morning, I will be worried.
It probably won't be, but it might. If you ask it to "wipe" data, it's doing multiple write passes to ensure that all the data is truly erased - much more intense and time-consuming than simply "deleting" the files (which, in actuality, only marks the files as "erased," making them recoverable pretty easily).

If it's a typical full security wipe, the deleted files will be written over with random data at least seven times. So that could indeed take several hours.