FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DC to Dulles Metrobus route 5A on the chopping block
Old Sep 19, 2015, 7:05 am
JacobVB27

Programs: Dulles Airport Traveler's Aid Volunteer, hopefully future United IK member
Originally Posted by Rus925
I'm pretty sure the 5A is still faster than the Silver line. I'm more surprised they run the route from L'Enfant; I wonder how many people originate their trips there. Why not run the route DCA-Rosslyn-IAD? That'd be a boon to all the inter-terminal transfer passengers who didn't know better/couldn't resist the savings, and the L'Enfant passengers could just ride the Yellow line south to DCA.

They also generally have a marketing issue; an express bus from Dulles airport stopping near Georgetown and in downtown DC should have a more distinctive name than "5A" to attract non-resident passengers. And while they're at it, they should install a MetroCard dispenser at Dulles.
While they sounds good in theory, don't you think the same issues will happen with the current 5A bus? While people coming from Reagan can get a Smart Trip Card, I doubt the reliability would improve. You would still have 66, 267, city traffic and GW Parkway. If I was trying to catch a flight to Dulles from Reagan and had time, I would take my chances with the metro. Once the bus is stuck in traffic, there is nothing you can do about it. How about people take the Silver Line out to Wiehle- Reston and take either the Silver Line Express, Fairfax Connector or cab out to Dulles Airport? And DCA Writer, maybe I am just lucky but have not had any issues with any of the Fairfax Connector buses over the years.

The Foggy Bottom Metro Station is walking distance to a good part of Georgetown without walking over a high bridge. Plus you have buses at Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn to take to all of Georgetown. So you would want to change every bus number since majority if not all are going to attractive areas? We have suggested putting in a Smart Trip Machine or having the Stores sell them but Metro doesn't want to do it.